Get the scoop on how pollen makes our bodies go “Achoo!”
You know that feeling, when your nose starts to twitch? That’s the start of a sneeze. Here's a quick step-by-step on why, and how it works.
- Your immune system detects and reacts to allergens in the air that are usually harmless.
- As soon as you come into contact with the allergens, your immune cells release various chemicals.
- When your body reacts to these chemicals, your nasal passages swell up, and your nose and throat become itchy.
- This is when your brain tells the muscles in your chest to contract.
- Your eyes and soft palate close, and you sneeze.